My name is Gary Hunt, a member of the Diocesan Executive Council and the Convener for this Parish Attendance and Membership Growth Team.
You are welcome to attend any of our meetings and to participate in the work of this team. If you have questions please call me at 925-352-8548 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The first stage of this growth initiative is an intensive 120-day action planning process:
At the conclusion of this process each team will make recommendations to the Bishop and Executive Council on the strategies recommendations and actions planned to get the church growing again so it can focus on doing God’s work across the Diocese.
This is a deliberate and prayerful Congregations Up! Strategy that is designed to transform the work programs, operations and organization of the Diocese to focus squarely on the following goals:
- Empower and support congregational growth across the Diocese of California
- Set clear and measurable goals for ASA, membership and revenue growth for each parish
- Raise up and train new generations of lay leaders and clergy to live into this growth challenge
- Expand the participation of the members today and those who love God and seek Christ in their lives to do the mission and ministry work of the church across the diocese and beyond.
- Celebrate, invite, welcome, incorporate and involve people across the rich multicultural, ethnic and lifestyle experiences that make up the Diocese of California into an inclusive, open, loving community of faith.
- Plan for the Diocesan future by developing mission and ministry programs that speak to the needs of people and live into the social justice, life affirming, loving values of the Episcopal Church.
- Episcopal Realities: Getting Back to Growth (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Census 2010 clues for Growing the Church (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Introducing our new Church Growth Program (churchgrowthprogram.com)
- CHURCH2GO: Connecting the Body of Christ in an Episcopal Social Network (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Turning Our Stewardship Fears into Easter’s Sunrise (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Writing About Church Growth & Decline (diocalparishgrowth.com)
- TEC Episcopal Selection Process in Washington Diocese (kiwianglo.wordpress.com)
Membership Growth Team Progress Report:
August 28, 2011
The Membership Growth Team is growing.
During this first week 15 people said they wanted to be part of the membership growth team. Invitations were sent out in pulses to a wide cross section of lay leaders and clergy asking others if they feel called to this church growth program mission. The response has been very gratifying. I anticipate the Membership Growth Team will be twice this size by our first meeting. If you want to work with this Membership Growth Team visit our Team Homepage and send an email note to Gary Hunt, Convener to let us know of you want to be included. The members so far include:
- The Rev Christopher Martin, Rector, St. Paul’s San Rafael
- Gabriela Strand Bruce, Grace Cathedral
- Richard Patenaude, Holy Cross, Castro Valley
- Gary Hunt, St. Timothy’s Danville
- Julia McCray Goldsmith, Diocese of California
- The Rev Kathy Trapani, Interim Rector, St. Timothy’s
- The Rev Debra Low-Skinner, Interim Rector, St Bartholomew’s Livermore
- The Rev Aris Rivera, Vicar, St. Alban’s Brentwood
- The Rev Canon Michael Barlowe, Diocese of California
- J Dave Gerhard, Holy Innocent’s San Francisco
- Steve Mason, Vestry Member, St. Timothy’s Danville
- The Rev John Trubina, Deacon, St. Clare’s Pleasanton
- Kathleen Piriano, Executive Director, Episcopal Charities
- Earl Clinton Williams, Sr Warden, St James Oakland
- The Rev Ron Culmer, Rector, St. Clare’s Pleasanton
- Ken Letsch, Christ Church, Alameda
- Jenny Moss, Christ Church, Alameda
Membership Growth Team Meeting Schedule.
As part of the 120 day action planning phase of the Church Growth Program, the Membership Growth Team is planning the following monthly schedule of meetings. Related events are also listed for your convenience:
Saturday September 13, 2011, 7pm
Bishop Marc’s Church Vitality Conference Call
Clergy and Lay Leadership Welcome to Participate
Saturday September 17, 2011, 9am to 2pm
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 1123 Court Street, San Rafael, CA 94901
Membership Growth Workshop #1:
- Spiritual Foundation for Church Growth: The Restoration Project
- frame issues of attendance and membership growth and dive into the data available;
- identify key factors affecting decline and growth.
Deanery Meetings Town Halls: Every Deanery will be having meetings this Fall. Deanery members should hear about the church growth program at the same deanery meeting as Diocesan Budget 2012 presentations.
Saturday October 15, 2011, 9am-2pm
St. Clare’s Episcopal Church, 3350 Hopyard Rd, Pleasanton, CA 94588
Membership Growth Team Workshop #2:
- Roundtable Discussion: Growth and Collaboration Opportunities in Tri-Valley/Dougherty Valley
- Growing Ideas: Gathering congregation case studies and examples of program ideas that work.
- Discussing a Framework for Membership Growth Team Action Plan
October 21-22, 2011
Diocesan Convention. Expect wide discussion of church growth program and be prepared to offer progress report. Consider town hall meeting to allow convention delegates to hear our progress report and discuss issues.
Saturday November 12, 2011
St. Alban’s Brentwood, 500 Second Street, Brentwood, CA 94513
Membership Growth workshop #3:
- Shaping the Parish: Developing a Healthier, More Faithful Church, The Rev. Aris Rivera
- Roundtable Discussion: Congregation Growth in East Contra Costa County
- Outlining the draft report of the Membership Growth team- Final drafts to be posted in advance and discussed and accepted at Dec meeting.
Saturday December 10th – Holy Innocents Episcopal Church, San Francisco
Membership Growth Workshop #4: Church2Go!
- Adapting social networking and other new technology to the growth needs of the church.
- Review draft report of Membership Growth team.
- Review next steps for implementation phase after church growth program approval.
- Celebrate our joy at this new beginning for the Diocese of California